Friday, January 25, 2008

Prairie Wind


Meet Mr. Tom Horney of Raisinville Township in Monroe, Mich. He's going to receive the "Friend of Conservation" award for the work he's done planting trees and preserving the prairie grasses on his land. I spent a little over an hour driving around with him in his big red pickup, ("The Beast" he called it) and enjoying a rare winter glimpse of pure sunlight.

When I spoke to him on the phone he joked about how I should take a picture with him far away, behind the grass... and... well... that's kinda what happened. While we were driving he'd spotted a rooster so he got out of The Beast to try and find him in the high grass. I loved the way the prairie grass looked as the FREEZING wind blew it so I snapped a few shots before my eyes started to water.
The combination of sunlit grass in the foreground and storm clouds in the distance really made this photo pop. It's one of my new favorites! I wonder what he thought when he saw the paper and realized I took his suggestion. ?? (fyi - we never found the rooster)

1 comment:

brYan said...

oh i'm glad you posted this because it reminded me to tell you how awesome this frame is. glad it ran in the paper too - good job finding a fresh way to shoot this assignment.