Monday, August 25, 2008

Ironman


His name is Ron Ottaway, he's 71 years old, and he's the 70+ Amateaur World Ironman Triathlon Champion. Mr. Ottaway is quick to tell you he hasn't missed a day of running in 19 years. He jokes about how he's gotten slower with age, but then so has his competition. Words like 'dedication,' 'discipline' and 'commitment' creep into his casual conversations. All at once, he inspires and confuses me. Why would anyone, especially a semi-retired 71 year old man, voluntarily put themselves through this degree of physical strain? The three hours I spent with him wasn't really enough to convince me of anything... but I'll let you judge for yourself.

The video feels a little like my old a + b interview assignment but who knows... maybe I can continue this project and go with him when he competes in Hawaii this Oct.... ;-) (I know, it's a VERY LONG long shot)


Ron Ottaway, a 71-year-old triathlete from Jason Kristufek on Vimeo.

1 comment:

Courtney said...

Great job with the video. Very well done...I'll have to take some pointers from you. All of your sequences were very well shot end edited. Hope you are enjoying the internship.