Friday, December 21, 2007

Amanda Goes to Jail!

So... Yesterday I went to Jail...

...
...
...

...to take pictures!!

It was incredible! I went to the Monroe County Jail to photograph the inmates as they received gifts from one of the county's many church organizations. I was really excited to take pictures, but a little nervous about the rules I might encounter at the jail. I knew I couldn't photograph any faces without a legal consent form. I was afraid the prison guards might have to search my gear. But... no worries! There was no search and one of the guards gave me a tour of the jail when I got there. I actually brought my keys w/ my pepper spray key chain right into the prison without a problem. Of course, I don't think they knew that... hehe...

I spent a couple hours inside the jail and walked with the church people as they handed out gift bags to every single inmate and guard -- they even gave me a bag (it had some cookies/candies a couple religious advertisements and a pair of socks inside). When I left I felt like I was walking out of a strange and different world.

I just have to say this... being a Visual Journalist totally Rocks!! It's the coolest job in the entire universe! I've shared Christmas this year with people with Down Syndrome, inmates, little kids, Santa Claus, Gun Enthusiasts, ballet dancers, rappers and hundreds of people at a small town parade. It's been great -- and I've even had snow!

No comments: