Sunday, December 9, 2007

Things I've learned about WINTER



So -- I've got a recipe for you:
Take 2 snow storms
1 ice storm
1 day of rainy drizzle
1 frozen car
add daylight that only lasts about 6 hours
Stir it all together and add 1 clueless kid from California -- I guarantee you'll create something unforgettable.
Before I came here I was warned -- people looked at me out of the corner of their eye and shook their heads saying "I was in for a surprise." They told me I would freeze, that I'd hate it and offered me advice like - "Drive Slowly" and "Buy a big jacket" So -- I was reasonably prepared ...... for Autumn! ..... NOT for Winter! (and they're telling me that it will only get worse)
So, for my friends and family back in Sunny California, I've created a list - A list of things they don't tell you about living in freezing weather.
1. Icicles are cute - but not when they're hanging from the sides of your car and side mirrors
2. The sun no longer equals warmth
3. When the sidewalk is shiny -- DON'T GO THERE!!! You'll find yourself ice-skating without the proper footwear. (My fall count so far is 1 and about a million arm waving fall recoveries.)
4. Getting ready to go now includes 15min of scraping the ice off the car and putting on about 4 layers of clothes. (who knew scarves were for more than just accessorizing)
5. Everything gets wet!
6. Wearing a warm hat is worth every second of horrible hat hair later.
7. SNOW TOTALLY ROCKS!!
8. Snow covers up EVERYTHING -- even that hole you didn't expect to find when you took that step. (yeah, it wasn't fun)
9. Driving becomes an extreme sport
10. Did I mention SNOW TOTALLY ROCKS?!!

I'm learning a lot -- Literally, something new everyday. Last week I learned what Sleet was and how to scrape snow and ice off of car windows (when you don't have a scraper you use a CD case -- who knew?) Today I learned about ice and how you walk on the grass, not the sidewalk.
It's been fun - and filled with bruises ha ha! I bought my plane ticket today. I return to Sunny California on January 30th. Hope everyone is keeping warm.


No comments: